today i washed my hair, tutored for two hours (two students, one hour each), bought a refrigerator, went by my friend’s house to get a house key from her and instructions on how to take care of her cat while she’s on vacation… i also ate and drank some things… and did some other miscellaneous things… and now i’m drinking a glass of wine
we are going to order a pizza for dinner and watch l’eclisse (netflix)
i don’t know what-all i’m going to do tomorrow, but i might go see blue jasmine
I slept in late, walked 30 minutes to a gym, lifted while listening to Interpol (focusing on deltoids), left and walked another 2 hours or so, ate seafood that my father grilled, went with my folks to a minor league baseball game, went with my folks to get ice cream, then went back to their place and wrote this.
I don’t know if it was exciting, but it was a very pleasant day!
I’m eager to see the new Woody Allen film. Will try to catch it next week; I’m house sitting then.
Ha! No, I just got busy with a bunch of other things—French class, plus some other writing I was obliged to do. Now I’m traveling. But it’s coming soon! Part 3 is written but needs laying out / formatting and a few more read-throughs. I’ll definitely get to it in the coming week…
1. the guy who plays chili (‘stanley’) is great, that greasy long lock of god-awful hair hanging down on the side
2. chili’s friend ‘eddie’ sounds exactly like a young joe pesci in Goodfellas
3. i loved the scene in the grocery store where ginger (‘stella’) bags groceries, chili starts crying (so funny!) and the grocer offers him first, his office to go cry in, and later, a kleenex – – – this scene is SO San Francisco, i mean, things like that really do happen in SF; this scene is SO not Manhattan, SO SF! love it! possibly my favorite scene in the movie
4. Ocean Beach really IS that grey and cold-looking and dreary and not romantic at all (unless all you have on your mind is fucking)
4a. did you know that the Great Highway is closed because of the sand that has blown/duned onto it? http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=9138508 – a bit of SF trivia not included in the movie
5. ginger’s ‘Mission District’ apt is really quite posh – south van ness ha ha ha
6. i loved the way alec baldwin’s hair was so obviously and horrendously dyed – the red-brown staining along his hairline – hilarious!
7. dwight’s weird hairstyle/hairline/balding pattern – also hilarious!
um, okay, seven points, um, maybe it’s a movie about hair??
okay, an eighth point – stoli is Not, i repeat, NOT to be kept at room temperature on top of a bookcase – – – i mean, c’mon – – – a refrigerator is too warm – – – stoli should only ever be kept in the freezer, so that when it’s poured, ice cold, it looks like the crystal-clearest of molten ice
and, oh, andrew dice clay (and his hair) is a revelation, in the movie
i haven’t even touched on jasmine (‘blanche’) yet – – – tbc in another comment??
Thanks for all these observations! I didn’t notice the hair details, and I didn’t know that about the Great Highway. In fact, I don’t even know what the Great Highway is, though I rather like that name.
I, too, especially loved the scene in the grocery store. I really liked the way it developed. It might be my favorite scene, too—along with the ending, which I thought stellar. (“Stellar!”)
I wrote something about the movie this morning, while riding a train through Illinois, and might send it to Press Play…
And I’m glad I saw it, too! I’m planning to see it again, if for no other reason than to look for the things you mentioned…
1. if ever you visit san-franny B sure that U C the sand dunes of the Great Highway
2. does NE1 know, was the grocery store scene in Blue Jasmine filmed at Bi-Rite on 18th street??
3. Press Play link forthcoming A D J?
3a. you on the city of new orleans??? i used to ride that train when i was a wee one my mom would put me on in chi-town to visit my nan and gramps got off at effingham can still see the grain elevators in farina my mind’s eye of my childhood i remember once my nan telling me about a grain elevator explosion due to ethanol build-up inside have U ever heard of that?
4. lol “Stellar!” i like that
5. and wasn’t dr. Flicker the weirdest??? learnt his name from iMDb