“Is your sense of ‘cat-ness’ or your experience of your own body somehow enlarged by your momentary departure?” — Eric Baus on granular vocabularies for the Naropa Summer Writing Program
Lots of Stuff to do This Weekend if You Happen to Live at the NYCenter of the Universe.
Okay, two small press events and one massive-ass festival.
1) Noemi Press reading at Stain barfeaturing Claire Hero, Shya Scanlon, Mark Tursi, and Lila Zemborain. >>Join us at 7 PM on 2 May 2009 for a Noemi Press reading at Stain Bar, 766 Grand Street, Brooklyn NY, 11211 (L to Grand, 1 block west) <<
2) Book Party & Reading for Eric Baus’ Tuned Droves, the new title from Octopus Books. Eric Baus, Cathy Park Hong, Karla Kelsey, & Keith Newton will read. Music from Snowblink. FREE WINE. Sunday May 3, 5:30-8pm. location: 267 douglass st, brooklyn, ny: from Union St (R / M trains): walk north three blocks on 4th Ave & turn left on Douglass. From Atlantic / Pacific: walk south on 4th Ave for seven blocks & turn right on Douglass.
3) This is also the week of the PEN World Voices festival, which has like a million events happening all over NYC and Brooklyn, throughout the day and evening. Complete festival schedule is here. I’m going to be at “The Language of Fear” event at the CUNY grad center tonight, and at the “Faith and Fiction” event at the powerHouse arena on Sunday afternoon (then heading Bausward after that).
May 1st, 2009 / 12:29 pm
Partisan hack blogs press release of press he likes: Special Octopus edition
Dear Octopus Fans,
We have five announcements to make:
1. Eric Baus’s Tuned Droves
2. Shane McCrae’s One Neither One
3. Open Reading in April for full-length manuscripts
4. Subscriptions for 2009-2010
[details on #s 1-5 after the jump, and at the very bottom: a picture of Bill Kristol getting nailed by a pie -JT]
February 24th, 2009 / 10:28 pm